Sunday, February 17, 2008

さんかく- sankaku

I've been wondering about this stuff. What is it? Why Tsuyo choosed this?
I found an interesting story about this..

さんかく = sankaku; sangaku = triangle
さん= san = 3
かく= stroke; angle

Sangaku or San Gaku (算額; lit. mathematical tablet) are Japanese geometrical puzzles in Euclidean geometry on wooden tablets created during the Edo period (1603-1867) by members of all social classes.

During this period Japan was completely isolated from the rest of the world so the tablets were created using Japanese mathematics, (wasan), not influenced by western mathematical thought. For example, the fundamental connection between an integral and its derivative was unknown so Sangaku problems on areas and volumes were solved by expansions in infinite series and term-by-term calculation.

The Sangaku were painted in color on wooden tablets which were hung in the precincts of Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines as offerings to the gods or as challenges to the congregants. Many of these tablets were lost during the period of modernization that followed the Edo period, but around nine hundred are known to remain. (wikipedia)

Among the world of triangle, i was brought to Japanese theorem for concyclic polygons, then it brings me to Sangaku: Reflections on the Phenomenon, and then to this gallery. I saw familiar forms to this:



Behind the scientific explanation and a historical background, this triangle has become a phenomenon, Sankaku phenomenon.
I couldn't find much interviews/articles where Tsuyo mentioned about this, nor whether it's related to this one or not. On top of that, how Tsuyo came up with Sankaku, it's a brilliant idea.
PS: Ochie, do you know anything about this?


^ I got this pic from: baidu.com


^ Thanks to maggie1327.

Now, I'm thinking to get his sankaku stuff xD

***

Tsuyo on Love DHA.. (thanks to usami-chan).
So, from now on, I we better wait everything right from his mouth through his radio or his homepage. 244 ENDLI-x is not like we thought it was. Not that he changed to that, but there's another name he offer us to call him. Any name will do. (you are Tsuyo/Tsuyoshi to me, no matter how you dress up^^) .
As for his changing hair.. I'm ready for the worst, because i like him from his time which nothing can look worst xD
-

3 comments:

Ochie said...

Hmmm.. now you got me thinking... for the life of me, I cannot remember how sankaku came to be. LOL :D...

the sankaku stuff are love.. esp the plushie :D. (and the purple notebook..) and.. hahaha

ryo said...

Gradually, I saw Tsuyo more and more. He's an artist. An artist is a genius to me. I will curious for everything behind his act xD
In one interview, he said about triangle phenomenon behind his sankaku. If that's true, there's any relation with the stuff above, he brought out Japanese culture that has been forgotten all along.

Yes, yes, I've been searching for all sankaku goodies had been released.. and wonder.. i want one..

Anonymous said...

More sangaku at: http://hermay.org/jconstant/books