Thursday, July 12, 2007

[J-Dorama] Byakkotai



http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Byakkotai

  • Title: 白虎隊 (びゃっこたい)
  • Title (romaji): Byakkotai
  • Format: Tanpatsu, in two parts
  • Broadcast network: TV Asahi
  • Broadcast period: 2007-Jan-6 and 2007-Jan-7
  • Air time: 21:00
  • Rating: 17.4%, 17.1%
  • Related shows: Byakkotai 1986
  • Theme song: You Raise Me Up by Celtic Woman
A re-make of the 1986 hit, which scored 80-percent in the Aizu district of Fukushima prefecture.

"Byakkotai" seems to be a story by which the content of the drama visits Byakkotai Memorial Hall by a modern young person who is the descendant of a Byakkotai samurai, and traces the history of the tragedy of the Byakkotai in the force organized by about 340 boys of 16 years old and 17 years old at Boshin War (Aizu war). Yamashita performs two roles (a Byakkotai samurai in the old days and the descendant's Shintaro Sakai)

Byakkotai Samurai

Check the site above for more casts.


---

I was in doubt when I knew YamaP was the main cast. I like taiga story and it's not easy to do the kind of role. But he's not dissapointed. In fact, I was in shocked at the first scene! Hahaaa.. well, he's not a boy anymore, he's grown up now, YamaP wa. I was just.. Akira was sticked on his image too long for me^^ And one more thing, he has fine body now. I mean he has some muscles :P Yeah, i've seen a picture from DK show before, but in this drama, he looks different. More manly. And I think he's the most cute Samurai ever^^

Another main cast was Tanaka Koki of Kattun. I don't know anything about Kattun yet, the group members not interest me. Well, Taguchi-kun is fine :D Anyway, Koki was good though. I've just seen him again in My-Boss My-Hero.

I just knew that the 3rd cast, Fujigaya Taisuke was Johnny's too! Eto, he's from Kis-My-Ft2. I knew the group as one of Kanjani 8 backdancer :)

Ok enough said for that.

The story. Please do not continu reading if you don't like spoiler.


This is a touching story. Simple yet touching. Now I recall all taiga dramas/movies I've seen; Musashi, Shinsengumi, Chuushingura 1/47, Twilight Samurai, The Hidden Blade, Love and Honor.. all have great story and touching. I even have tears for Musashi and Shinsengumi. Byakkotai has no different. War, in any kind always hurt and painful. In my believe, no one can claimed as a winner in a war. Especially war among nation.
Seppuku is cruel thing. I never like it nor understand it. It's too painful punished ourself that way. But it's part of Bushido's way. This drama can be a good lesson for the young generation.

I had a swollen eyes till the next morning T_T
And now, everytime I heard the song 'You Raised Me Up', I will remember this story, Byakkotai... I wonder why they didn't use any Japanese song instead.

More info about Byakkotai:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~jmg/ah/byakkotai.html
http://www.byakkotai.net/
http://awia.jp/en/sightseeing/history/sub_byakkotai.htm

0 comments: